Monday, May 5, 2008

Voting

I took advantage of early voting last week. I knew how I felt about the Austin Independent School District’s bond proposal, and was prepared to vote accordingly. However, I was not so clear on how to cast my ballot for the people running for City Council. I regard the freedom to vote as both a privilege and a responsibility; it is my duty to vote with integrity and intelligence. Learning that local elections are usually nonpartisan, I had to base my decision on criteria other than party platform.

At one of the many convenient polling places a kindly volunteer gave me sample ballots to use as a starting point. So, I set aside an hour or so to do some investigating. The internet was, of course, my first avenue to search for information. I began by using Google to search for election facts. From there I got many hits directing me to web sites for local candidates. Each candidate has a bio and a list of endorsements, at the very least, so I began reading those. Local folks, to me, are better suited for Austin than “implants.” Furthermore, if a candidate is endorsed by an organization I do not approve of, then I cross them off the list. This process of elimination, if you will, served me well; I was able to go back to the poll and cast my vote with an education. While there, another kindly volunteer handed me a League of Women Voters voting guide. Sigh. It is a nonpartisan publication that contains responses from candidates to the same three questions (some chose not to respond). I did glance at it before voting, but I had already made my decision and felt that the hard work I did, to come to those conclusions, would serve me well.

This local election is the first one its kind that I have participated in, and I feel really good about doing my part. I look forward to the results and urge everyone to take time out to vote whenever there is an election that concerns you, as it is both a right and a responsibility.

No comments: